Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:30:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more info on system processes

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Marc Tardif wrote:

Did you ever get a response to this?

> Where can I get more information about the system processes running on my
> 4.1-STABLE system (swapper, pagedaemon, vmdaemon, bufdaemon, syncer)? I'd
> be curious to understand what these processes actually do.

I am also looking for this information. I grep'ed through a bunch of sys
source and the manual pages, but didn't find much.

> I tried looking for manpages, but nothing was available. I then proceeded
> to look for "pagedaemon" on freebsd.org's search page (in faq and
> handbook), but nothing was available either. Short of reading the actual
> source code, where else can I find information on system processes?

I have been directed to the "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System" book several times. But it seems like this should be
documented somewhere else (online).

Maybe it is documented in the Berkeley Software Architecture Manual from
the UNIX Programmer's Supplementary Documents (PSD #5). I am looking
through it. It is available at
http://www.geek-girl.com/bsd/psd/index.html.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/