Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:25:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Igor V.Ruzanov" <igorr@redline.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please help

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:42:29AM +0400, Igor V.Ruzanov wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD-4.4-Release on my machine. LAN was successfully
> configured (UNIX-machine is connected with another Windows-machine via
> ethernet). So my UNIX-machine has two network interfaces: first - ex0
> (172.16.69.1) for ethernet card and second (ip's dynamically assigning) -
> tun0 for serial device (modem). And i have a problem with second NIC: for
> establishing ppp-connection with my ISP i use the ppp-implementation in
> interactive mode (for now). After dialling and authorisation ppp connection
> was established and prompt PPP ON my_host was appeared (3 P capital letters
> of course) , so i could suppose that everything went normally. When i runned
> ifconfig command i could see ip assigned to my second NIC: tun0. But there
> was the problem: i couldn't open any tcp connection with remote hosts using
> the protocols such as telnet, ssh, ftp and so on. I tried to ping some
> remote side but it didn't work. The only address that i could ping is my
> assigned ip-address. Could you please explain to me what do i have to do for
> the network to work properly, why after establishing of ppp-connection with
> my ISP i can't send and receive the packets on any tcp ports?

Try adding the line:

    add default HISADDR

to your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.  This will set up a default route out
over your tun0 interface that should get your packets moving in the
right direction.

You can examine all the traffic going through your PPP link by running:

    tcpdump -i tun0

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK