Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:47:29 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating source code manually

On 2004-06-26 18:32, Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net> wrote:
> Iain Dooley wrote:
> >
> >1) i received a small patch for Kate (K Advanced Text Editor) from
> >one of the developers, how can i compile this new code into the binary?
>
> You could run make extract from whichever kde* port Kate is installed
> from (kdebase, I think), cd into the work directory, apply the patch,
> and then run make install clean as normal. It should work if the patch
> applies cleanly.
>
> I think you can also put the patch in the files directory (in the
> port's dir), and give it the right naming convention and the ports
> magic will apply it. See the Porters Handbook for more info.

If the patch has been prepared to apply cleanly from the top level
directory of the extracted source tree, than putting it in
files/patch-zz-local or something like that will let the ports "magic"
find it and apply it as part of the port build process.

> It would be cool if there was an easy way to apply a local hack to a
> port auto-magicaly.

There is... just put your patches in files/patch-* files.  Make sure
that if they are sorted alphabetically, their order is correct, i.e. if
you have two patches name them patch-zz-local-1 and patch-zz-local-2 or
similar -- this way they will be applied *after* any existing port
patches (because of the -zz- part) and local-1 will be applied before
local-2 ensuring the order you want to use.

- Giorgos