Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:15:49 +0100
From:      Robert Suetterlin <robert@mpe.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CPQ ML350. Boot Hangs during Installation. Updated Problem Report.

Hello Again!

	Found some time to do more testing...

So. I have the Promise Ultra100 TX2 (bios 2.12) connected to a PCI Slot which allows it to work at least under some conditions.

Connected to Promise Controller are four IBM ATA 100 harddisks.

The System it is plugged in is a COMPAQ Proliant ML350.

The Bios of the Server states no IRQ conficts.

I start the inital boot of the FreeBSD installation (FBSD4.4REL) with no special parameters, during visual configuration of the kernel I remove everything from Network, everything but fdc from Storage and PC-Card from Misc.

The boot process ends with 'plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0' while still in bright text mode.  Then the machine hangs.

I can boot ok if I remove either the drives connected to ata-interface 1 or 2 of the promise controller (these are ata-2 and ata-3 for my freebsd kernel).  If I have anything connected to both ata-interfaces of the controller the boot hangs.  If I have only stuff on one interface (no matter which of the two, but only one) the the system boots ok.

BTW the harddrives I use are IBM IC35L040AVER07-0 (40Gig).  The Chipset of the COMPAQ is a ServerWorks (don't know more specific).

When the system boots ok (using only one channel of the promise controller) the next message in dmesg after plip0: is 'ad4 39266MB ... at ata2-master UDMA100'. Then there is one more for the second harddrive, then acd0 at ata0-slave, and finally 'Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c'.

If anyone knows how I can get my second ata-channel working _please_ tell me.  Or if there is any additional diagnostic I can apply.

Regards, Robert S.

--
Robert Suetterlin (robert@mpe.mpg.de)
phone: (+49)89 / 30000-3546   fax: (+49)89 / 30000-3950