Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:26:52 +0530
From:      "Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 3:51 PM, Jud wrote:
> 6/25/2002 12:10:21 AM, "Gautham Ganapathy"
> <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >I have an Athlon (tbird 850) running on an A7V333. AMD approved
> >heatsink/fan. The CPU temp often goes to around 85C and the fan is
> >genarally at around 6000rpm (smashed my finger on it once). is this
> >normal ? motherboard temp is somewhere at 50C. the temp hike is
> >generally when i am in freebsd or playing games in win2k. running
> normal
> >apps (ie, editors, etc) is generally not a problem. is this a problem
> >b/w the cpu and the mb
>
> Not between your mb and your CPU.  Your heatsink, fan and case
> cooling.  (BTW, what is the ambient temperature in the computer room?)

Ambient temp is around 30-40C

> Have a case with some room in it for air circulation.  Have
> both intake
> (in front, low) and exhaust (in back, high) fans in it.  PC Power and
> Cooling sells very quiet but effective "Silencer" fans that
> work well for
> this.  Also, make sure your power supply has an adequate exhaust fan.

Not sure if the PC Power & Cooling has outlets in India. I'll check for
cases with these fans and enough space for air circulation. Right now, I
have a power supply fan at the back and a CPU fan. cabinet is also a
little crowded.

> Re your CPU heatsink and fan, there are sites, reviews and
> resellers all
> over the Web about this.  While any AMD approved heatsink and fan
> ought to keep your CPU from overheating if the case ventilation is
> adequate, just below 90-95C is not where you want to be.  The CPU
> won't die immediately, but cooler conditions may cause it to
> live longer
> and will leave more of a margin for "error" (dust accumulation, warm
> days, etc.).
>
> Read about how to prepare and install a heatsink and fan with thermal
> compound to promote heat transfer between the CPU core and heatsink.
> Then select a heatsink/fan that gives you good cooling at an
> acceptable
> noise level, AND IS EASY TO ATTACH OR REMOVE WITHOUT THE
> DANGER OF STICKING A SCREWDRIVER THROUGH YOUR
> MOTHERBOARD.  (This latter will depend on your own aptitude with
> tools to some extent.;)

As to my aptitude with tools, note that i managed to smash my finger on
the CPU fan :-)

> After trying several heatsink/fans I've personally settled on
> the Thermal
> Integration TI77N, but there are likely almost as many
> opinions in this
> regard as there are custom built computers with AMD CPUs.  The
> maximum temperature I see is around 55-56C.

It used to be like that before I upgraded my motherboard. However, I did
not change my processor. I think some of the glue b/w the cpu and
heatsink may have come off. think that could be the reason ?

> Jud

how is the thouroughbred compared to the palomino ?