Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:28:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost space - how to find it?

Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 >   Only what shows up under du is on the root fs.  In this case /var is on
 > / but /var/local, /var/tmp, etc. is on a different partition.

/usr, too, I assume.
BTW, it would have been better to make /var a separate
partition, IMO.  For example, 50 Mbyte for / is enough
if you have /var and /tmp somewhere else.

 >   I just tried lsof but don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?  Could
 > the fs get into such a state to report this wrong somehow?

Possible, but not very probable.  Just to make sure, you
could boot into single-user mode and run fsck manually on
that partition.

Did you newfs that filesystem with any unusual parameters?
Are you using soft-updates?  What's the output of ``df -ki''?

Note that "du" is not perfectly accurate, and I suspect that
it might have difficulties with hardlinks (I'm not sure),
but all of that does not explain the large difference that
you described.  To be honest, I have no idea what it could
be.

 >> >1       /nonexistent

Why did you create that?  It is used in some passwd records
of pseudo users, and its purpose is to not exist, actually.
:-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)