Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:48:43 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hostid equals Ethernet address or IP address ?

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 12:41:12AM -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:

> Maybe someone can explain this for me... Gethostid(3) says
>
>     "Sethostid() establishes a 32-bit identifier for the current
>      processor that is intended to be unique among all UNIX systems
>      in existence. This is normally a DARPA Internet address for the
>      local machine. "
>
> The first sentence says that the identifier "is intended to be unique
> among all UNIX systems in existence", ie. an Ethernet address. The
> second sentence seems to contradict the first in that, for the local
> machine, the hostid is based on the machines IP address. AFAIK, an
> Ethernet address is guaranteed to be unique but an IP address is not
> guaranteed. Of course, I mean all UNIX machines not just those connected
> to a given network
>
> Should the hostid be based on an Ethernet address or an IP address?
> Any pointers to revelant documents would be helpful.

While I am not sure about supporting documents, I am pretty sure that
sethostid(3) is referring to the IP address, not the MAC address. My
reasoning is that IP addresses are 32-bits while MAC address are
64-bits (the first 32-bits comprises the OUI which uniquely identifies
the vendor). My other thought is that if sethostid() actually rewrote
the MAC address (assuming it was implemented in FLASH, EEPROM, or some
other reprogrammable device) is that there would be no guarantee of
uniqueness. Reprogramming the MAC address would ``break'' many vendors
cards due to the steps they take to prevent this, e.g., embedded
CRC-32s, checksums, inverted MAC addresses, etc..

> Josef
>
> --
> Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
> jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses

Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.