Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 00:08:59 -0700
From:      Derrick <dlow3@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with masquerading hybrid cable modem connection

I am having trouble masquerading my hybrid cable modem connection in
FreeBSD.  By
hybrid, I mean it uses a normal analog ppp account to dial out for
uploads (it's an
Earthlink account, by the way) and a Com21 cable modem for the
downloads.  They
haven't yet implemented the two-way on the cable connection yet.  You
dial ppp as
normal and it gives you your ip automatically.  It's not a normal
account, it
automatically uses your ethernet card for downloading somehow.  In
FreeBSD I can
connect fine (I can't even get it working in Linux) but I am having
trouble
masquerading. Is it even possible to masquerade this kind of hybrid
connection in
FreeBSD?  I have IPFIREWALL, IPDIVERT, and IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
in my kernel
config.  I've tried natd -n ed1 and natd -n tun0.  I've tried dialing
ppp with and
without the -alias flag.

I've tried:  ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed1
I've tried:  ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0
And I've tried: ipfw add 100 divert natd  ip from any to any out recv
ed1 xmit tun0

None of these seems to work, what am I doing wrong?  Please help!  Any
info would be
helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Derrick