Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2005 01:01:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Pertti Kosunen <pertti.kosunen@pp.nic.fi>, David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>, "Yuriy N. Shkandybin" <jura@networks.ru>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timers and timing, was: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The alternative is the degrade the quality of the standard timescales:
> clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME), time(2) and gettimeofday().
>
> The question there is: are we willing to live with the fallout ?

Another important question is whether using these alternative time access
methods in user space improves the performance of any of the applications
we care about.  Hence providing a patch that someone can try -- while the
microbenchmarks seem to show improved performance, will the applications?
I suspect it will in some important cases, but there's only one way to
find out.

It strikes me that replacing time(3) with something that retrieves
CLOCK_SECOND shouldn't harm time(3) semantics.  Likewise, keeping
CLOCK_REALTIME as is is likely OK -- if an application requests it using
clock_gettime(), then it is presumably looking for high accuracy.  It's
gettimeofday() that's the troubling one -- it's widely used to query the
time in applications, and its API suggests microsecond resolution.

Robert N M Watson