Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:47:45 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible problem with new boot loader ?

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 06:29:30PM +0200, Robert Nordier wrote:
> Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>
> > Not sure if I am just to stupid or if this is a bug. My system has
> > 2 IDE drives and then several SCSI drives. FreeBSD is on the first
> > scsi drive, so da0. Root is da0s1a. Bios sees the drive as the 3.
> >
> > When the new boot loader comes up with no /boot.config, it prints
> > 2:da(2,a)/boot/loader, which isn't right, as it should be 2:da(0,a).
> > If I now press a key and enter 2:da(0,a), it complains it can't find
> > /boot/loader. Entering 2:da(0,a)/kernel works fine and that is
> > what i have now in my boot.conf.
> >
> > Could this be a bug or not?
>
> There are two issues here:
>
>     o  The bootblocks get the SCSI unit number wrong in cases where
>        IDE drives are also attached.
>
>        This is to be expected.  There is just insufficient space
>        available to the bootblocks for "smarter" logic.
>
>        The old bootblocks have a build setting BOOT_HD_BIAS to work
>        around this problem.  The new bootblocks rely on /boot.config.
>        You can have
>
> 	   2:da(0,a)
>
>        in /boot.config (ie. without a kernel name) to override just
>        the unit number.
>
>     o  The /boot/loader program just isn't being found.
>
>        Are you sure this actually exists?  What shows up if you
>        enter
>
> 	   2:da(0,a)/boot/?
>
>        (to get a directory listing of /boot) at the "boot:" prompt?
>
> Incidentally, do these bootblocks contain the BTX patch I sent you,
> or did you find some other way around that problem?

More info. With "2:da(0,a)" in /boot.config, a boot looks like this:

/boot.config: 2:da(0,a)
/
BTX loader 0.01  BTX version is 0.87
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS drive D: is disk2
BIOS drive E: is disk3
BIOS drive F: is disk4

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.2 636/65532kB
(root@Playtoy.Melmac.org, Sun Jan 17 03:54:54 PST 1999)

Hit [Enter] to boot immediatly, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
disk1s1a:>

Interrupting earlier:

/boot.config: 2:da(0,a)

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 2:da(0,a)/boot/loader
boot: 2:da(0,a)/boot/?
. .. boot0 boot1 boot2 loader loader.old loader.help

--
Regards, Ulf.