Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:49:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise IDE board docs

It seems Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Søren Schmidt writes:
>  >
>  > If you have questions, I might be able to answer, having just written
>  > the support for our new ata/atapi system....
>  >

> Is this new ata/atapi system the rumored rewrite of the existing IDE
> (i386/isa/wd.c, /pci/ide_pci.c) driver?  How close are you to
> completion?

Yes. I have ATA disks running, and I'm close to having the ATAPI
part done also. So far things are looking very good, performance
is up one notch on all the ATA HW I have in my lab.
I have no projected date for this yet, but progress is speeding up..

> I have a slightly off-track question -- should I be able to throw 3 of
> these boards in a modern (440bx based) motherboard, and run 6 ATA
> disks (1 per controller, 2 controllers per card) & expect things to
> 'just work' or should I expect problems?  LINT doesn't list example
> configs beyond 1 Promise in addition to the on-board controllers, so
> I'm wondering if anybody's ever tested a config like this...?

It "should" work, but the promise support in the old system is, well,
hacky at best. I'm not sure if Promise supports more than one card
at a time, but from looking at the chip specs, it should work just
fine, and if the hardware works, at least the new driver will support
it.

-Søren