Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:30:49 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people think of May 1st for a 3.2 release date?

At 2:46 AM -0800 3/13/99, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> It's a little close on the heels of 3.1, but there have been a
> significant number of things found and fixed in 3.1 that I'm
> almost itching for a 3.1.1 at this point.  Failing that, and I
> think a point release would be just a bit overkill anyway, we
> can do 3.2 after a reasonable minimum interval period and that
> would be, IMO, May 1st at the earliest.

From my point-of-view (in a college setting), it's pretty nice
to have a "clean" snapshot sometime between May 1st and June 1st.
That gives people the summer to upgrade "critical" machines, and
the warm-and-fuzzy feeling that they are upgrading to something
which should still be a reasonably good choice for the start of
classes in the fall.

For my own personal schedule, it would be nice if the CD's for
that released arrived before May 15th.  Lately my schedule has
been getting blown full of holes though, so I've given up making
decisions based on it.  If I were to ignore my schedule, then I
would be inclined to say June 1st might be a better date.

Hmm, I guess we might be thinking about different dates here when
we say "the date".  I'm thinking "the date I want the CD version
to be shipping by".

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute