Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:20:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: optional dependencies

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Mark Linimon wrote:

> Until someone implements some kind of "capabilities" system, we're stuck
> doing a bunch of logic in Makefiles.
>
> One problem no one has come up with a good solution for is mixing
> packages (with standard prerequisites) with installed ports (with
> custom prerequisites).
>
> mcl

A capability system is a pain in the arse if you go radically in the direction that Gentoo Linux has setup with use flags (or similar).. then again it's easier to debug issues if the config files are all in the same spot instead of all in a set of makefiles and it's easier to modify the variables from one source and not a bunch of different sources. So, maybe a capability structure taking all of the info from the make config screens would be really beneficial.

Personally I like an infrastructure properly setup, from the ground up, but that's sort of in limbo in Freebsd (climbing into bsd.mk to discover variables, etc is a bit of a pain IMHO and it's as accessible as it should be).

-Garrett