Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 20:10:37 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@csrlink.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Afterstep 1.4 (Was Re: windowmaker)

Brett Taylor wrote:

> That said, I find it WAY better than trying to install AfterStep-1.4 (I'm
> still using 1.0 at work).  AS-1.4 is a kludgy mess if you ask me.  I
> imagine that I will either stick w/ AS-1.0 or once I get used to WM move
> the work machine over.  Until I get some DOCS though for WM I'll be
> waiting on the final decision.  :-)

	This is more of a -chat topic I think, so if you want to follow it up
I'll be glad to follow it there. Afterstep 1.4 is different enough so
that I found configuring it a challenge, but once I got it done I liked
it a lot better. Moving the various configuration elements to different
files allows on the fly changes of the "fluff" elements of the desktop
while maintaining things like the wharf across configurations. It's also
a *lot* more stable. I get around one crash a week on the system I use
daily (almost always netscape *grumble*), whereas before I would
sometimes get one a day.

	I haven't actually tried any other window managers, I was a big fan of
next, and this one works well and I'd rather not spend time playing
around with other things. The only thing I can't do is paste from an
xterm into netscape. I also don't like the way XFree86 3.3.2 colors the
reverse video in a black xterm, but I have a feeling that I'll figure
that one out. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest