Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:47:10 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: stop ppp dialing on boot

* Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> [010418 15:14]:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:53:15PM +0800, Alvin Sim wrote:
>
> > Wednesday, April 18, 2001, 06:22:58 PM, Rasputin wrote:
> >
> > R> * Alvin Sim <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk> [010418 04:20]:

> > R> Find out what's bringing up the line.
> > R> Chances are one of your daemons does a DNS test or similar when it starts up.
> >
> >    this  just  might  be it but... how do i see which is starting up the
> >    dns  test  search?  i  have  `inetd' disabled in rc.conf and the only
> >    thing thats in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are:

One of those is probably making DNS queries.

If you are logged in as it boots, try sockstat -4
see what is using the network.

(a dns query can come from anywhere but will ber travelling to the
IP of one of your nameservers addressed ot port 53 udp/tcp)
Once you know what kind of traffic is bringing up the line,
as Duke said, man ppp should give you some idea how to limit
what will bring up the PPP link.

There's a sample file somewhere rilly obvious
(either the Handbook or the Pedantic PPP Primer) that shows you
how to selectively bring up the line on a per-protocol basis.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns