Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 23:08:59 -0700
From:      Christopher Seiwald <seiwald@tea.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   EIDE + SCSI = bad combination or just bad luck?

Setup:

	ASUS PVI 4SP3 motherboard with on-board (E)IDE
	NCR 53C810 PCI SCSI adaptor card
	One IDE disk
	One SCSI disk
	FreeBSD 2.0

The problem:

	If the IDE and SCSI disks are active at the same time, the
	NCR SCSI driver goes into conniptions.  Sometimes asserts()
	in the NCR code fail, sometimes the system hangs with one
	or both disk's activity light on, sometimes I get errors
	reported by the NCR code.

	It doesn't appear to be interrupts: using the BIOS config,
	I turned off the interrupt for the PCI slot (as verified
	by the NCR driver which reported "interruptless mode:
	reduced performance").  Still things hung.

	So I changed the PCI memory address map from c0000000 to
	c0010000 - still no dice.

	I also tried the 2.0-950412-SNAP, and it failed all just
	the same.

The ugly complications:

	The motherboard has in its BIOS the NCR BIOS as well, in
	order to support the optional NCR PCI SCSI board called
	the "PCI-SC200".  The BIOS recognises my NCR card as
	one of its own and initializes it.  Unfortunately, there
	is no way to find out what that NCR BIOS is doing, since
	it has no configuration utility of its own (as far as I
	can tell).

	I am fairly sure my NCR 53C810 is functionally the same as
	the PCI-SC200: the board has just the chip and traces, so
	there isn't really alot of room for variety of implementation.

My guess is:

	Somehow the IDE driver is stomping on the NCR driver's memory,
	but I don't know how.

Anyone with any clues?  Anyone have this combination working?  Failing
that, anybody wanna buy an 850Mb EIDE drive? :-(

Christopher