Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:39:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing windows XP at home.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, RW wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:23, Joshua Lewis wrote:
>
>>    KDE seems like it is bloated so I was considering Gnome. I have also
>>    been reading about enlightenment and it sounds interesting. I have
>>    looked into Fluxbox and it also seems like it would do the trick.
>>
>>    Would I be better off just going with Gnome or KDE? I realize once I
>>    start installing apps that I will probably wind up installing
>>    something that uses Gnome or KDE libraries so I am going to wind up
>>    bloating my system any ways right?
>

> KDE is mostly application modules, which you don't need to install if you dont
> want them. These days, though, the avoidance of bloat is mostly just a
> fetish.  I've not noticed any speed difference between KDE and the lighter
> window managers for years. And as far as disk space is concerned we are
> talking about pennies. I've tried fluxbox and the like off-and-on, but I
> always miss some KDE feature within minutes.
>
> Personally I don't like Gnome, it's less polished than KDE by a sustantial
> margin; and while upgrading KDE is always easy, Gnome's complex depencies
> mean that a special script has to be run, and even that doesn't always work.

I agree with this thought. There is a wrapper port/package kde-lite. I run kde
on a 400Mhz laptop and mostly can not tell the difference between using that and
my new thinkpad. OpenOffice is much, much, ..., better the kdeoffice. The
ultimate lightweight window manager is twm. It is built into X. I use it to
install KDE. All of this is very personal. It is well worth finding the one you
like.