Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:08:45 +0200
From:      Marcus Collins <marcus@writeclick.co.za>
To:        Remington <madriax@garlic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Userland PPP and "timeout 180" options

On Wed,  6 Feb 2002 at 01:05:00 -0800, Remington wrote:

> I have plans to finally set Xwindows on my machine, and the
> src+dependency list is huge. Im connected to the net via 56k. I have
> concerns about getting knocked off in the middle of a compile and thus
> cutting off my download of another dependency. I heard the the "timeout
> 180" in the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file is a purely cosmetic line. Is this
> true? And if so how can I keep my connection alive?

Perhaps someone else can confirm whether user-ppp's timeout option is
cosmetic? AFAIK, this is not the case, and the man page indicates that
it works as expected, except in -ddial and -dedicated modes.

At any rate, just make sure you keep some activity over the connection.

E.g:

  $ while /usr/bin/true; do ping -c 1 some.host.com; sleep 300; done

will ping the specified host every five minutes. If you do this, make
sure you specify '-c 1' to send only one packet! You can ping the other
side of your connection -- use ifconfig -L ppp0 (or tun0, or whatever)
to check the IP address on the other side of your link.

Alternatively, just use 'make fetch-recursive' to fetch all the sources,
and compile at your leisure.

Cheers!

-- Marcus