Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:28:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        MIke Cragin <mike@jlbcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: clusters

On 30-Aug-00 MIke Cragin wrote:
> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
>    I have recently become interested in Linux clustering and am wondering if
> my favorite os will support the Red Hat implementation of it. I would hate to
> convert all my FreeBSD machines into Red Hat but I think this will be an
> important technology to learn. If you have any web sites I might visit to
> learn more about clustering on BSD  or the Beauwolf project, I would be very
> aprecreitive.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Mike Cragin

One definition of a Beowulf cluster is simply to have many machines connected
on a net to do a job. With this definition the distributed.net-campaign is a
Beowulf. This is only suitable if the problem can be cut up in little pieces
that can execute by themselves. An example is povray which renders images. You
can distribute the job of renedering onto M machines and have the time cut down
by a factor M at best.

There is a port of the PVM (Parallell virtual machines) library which can be
interesting if you need inter-client communication too.

I have never heard of the linux patches being implemented on FreeBSD. I am sure
it would be cool though:)

In all: Your problem at hand decides for you which way to go. It is much easier
if the problem can be split into independent executables with very little
communication between them.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail