Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:42:08 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS primary secondary question

>I wonder how does resolvers lookup dns names.
>Do they check primary and secondary randomly or they check secondary only
>if they can't reach the primary server? or does it work so the fastest one
>which answer is chosen? Anybody has an idea?

To resolvers, all NS for a zone are equivalent for
queries.  Specifically, there is no master/slave, primary/secondary
distinction.

A DNS can return its list of NS records for a zone in varying order
to share the load among the NS's.  The resolvers generally query the
NS's in physical order received.

In DNS's themselves, their resolvers do look at the speed of
are smart enough in general to do that.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training : In Austin, TX; SFO, CA; Paris,
FR