Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:24:49 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Roman Kurakin <rik@cronyx.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ** HEADS UP **  GDB detached from the 5-CURRENT build

Roman Kurakin wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I have disconnected (i.e., disabled) `gdb` from 'make world' due to the
>> impending binutils 2.15 import.  GDB 5.12 cannot consume the 2.15 bfd and
>> libiberty.
>>
>> For now GDB users will have to use the devel/gdb6 port.  There will be an
>> import of GDB 6.x into the /usr/src tree before 5.3-RELEASE.
>>

> How long it may take?
>
> rik

Marcel Moolenaar is working on GDB6 right now.  It sounds like he has a
snapshot that is ready to go in soon, but it doesn't yet support kernel
debugging.  We will definitely have this resolved before 5.3.  Until
then I would highly recommend using the GDB53 or GDB6 ports.  While
breaking GDB is not ideal, it was discussed heavily with Marcel and
David and is really the best course of action considering how much work
is required to make all of it work.  We _need_ GDB6 in order to get good
sparc64 and amd64 support, and we need BU215 in order to get TLS in the
future.  It makes the most sense to go into 5-STABLE with a toolchain
that we can live with for the next 12-18 months.

Scott