Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 00:46:26 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copyright

phil grainger wrote:
> but if the present copyright makes programmers uncomfortable donating code,
> then we should try to accomodate them.

I don't know why the BSD copyright would make anyone uncomfortable
donating code to the FreeBSD project.  Nothing says you have to use
the BSD copyright, or any copyright for that matter.  The core team
may decide not to use it if the copyright is too restrictive, and
in the past have decided not to use pieces of code that are GPL'd.
That certainly does not in any way lessen the copyright protections
emplaced by the author.

Most (any, all) FreeBSD contributors use BSD-like copyrights because
they believe that is the right way to do it.  If you don't, you're
still quite free to incorporate FreeBSD into your projects, we aren't
coercing you into releasing your source, object, binary, or any other
code in any way you are uncomfortable with.

On the other hand, science has not yet invented an instrument that can
measure how little the FreeBSD community is willing to change their
licensing scheme towards any more protective mode.  The license requires
the user of the code to acknowlege where it came from, in both the
documentation and the code itself.  For this community, that is more
than sufficient, it is desirable.