Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, Thomas Vogt <thomas@bsdunix.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: who do you install freebsd without sysinstall?

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=244762+0+current/cvs-src>;

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/fbsd-from-scratch/>?

> > I'm just curious.
> >
> Plenty of options, depending on the available
> environment and
> needs.
>
> 1) Add a spare disk to an existing FreeBSD box, and
> populate
>    it using installworld/installkernel/distribution
> targets
>    and specifying DESTDIR pointing to a mounted
> spare disk.
>
> 2) Boot from live-system on CD-ROM, prepare and
> partition the
>    disk(s), install distributions manually through
> install.sh
>    scripts.
>
> 3) Boot from live-system on CD-ROM, prepare and
> partition the
>    disk(s), CVSup, build/install from sources.
>
> 4) Boot in a PXE/TFTP/NFS diskless environment
> (details are
>    in the Handbook), install distributions using a
> shell
>    script as above.  Distributions may come from
> either
>    remote CD-ROM media, or be prepared by "make
> release"
>    and made available over NFS to diskless clients.
>    A modification of this approach includes a mass
> deployment
>    option that involves writing (relatively simple)
> local
>    installation scripts that automate the tasks.
>
> Many other options...
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Ruslan Ermilov
> ru@FreeBSD.org
> FreeBSD committer

Out of curiosity...

So If I made a custom boot cd I could boot a dead box,
setup the drives and slices, CVSUP the system I want
to build, tweak the build environment for the proper
temporary build locations and build a system from
source and install that system to the now live box,
boot it and be done? I've always wondered about this
because I always remake the system I've just installed
because I'm usually dealing with deprecated hardware
and all the architecture tweaks I could use help... If
that run on is confusing basically to setup FreeBSD
like a gentoo install from scratch with a system CD.

also along these lines how do I make the system allow
me to seed the entropy engine? Usually after an
install it asks to fill in a screen full of junk, but
with a custom install it doesn't do this for me, at
least not the last time I tried. Just curious,
especially if I attempt the above procedure.

-brian