Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 07:59:39 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: New Snapshot...Good and Bad....

    Brian> On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Paul F. Werkowski wrote:
    >>
    John> the other problem, which i imagine is a snapshot kind of
    John> thing ,is that CLISP falls over dead while it is trying
    >>  You are running CMU Lisp on FreeBSD? How did you do this?

    Brian>     Isn't CLISP == Common LISP?  Or is that the same as CMU
    Brian> LISP?  -- Brian ("Though this be madness, yet there is
    Brian> method in't") Tao taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work
    Brian> ........ play --> taob@io.org

	Part of the problem is that there are several implementations
	of Lisp that use the name "CLISP". The one I am interested in
	now is (to quote from
 http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/part4/faq-doc-1.html
)

   "CMU Common Lisp (CMU CL) is free, and runs on HPs, Sparcs (Mach,
   SunOs, and Solaris), DecStation 3100 (Mach), SGI MIPS (Iris), DEC
   Alpha/OSF1, IBM RT (Mach) and requires 16mb RAM, 25mb disk. It
   includes an incremental compiler, Hemlock emacs-style editor,
   source-code level debugger, code profiler and is mostly X3J13
   compatible, including the new loop macro.  It is available by
   anonymous ftp from
      ftp.cs.cmu.edu:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/clisp/release [128.2.206.173]"

	As I understand it, this project is now inactive but the code
	is pretty popular in Lisp circles. The code also is public domain
	with no copyrights attached.

	Don't know how hard it would be to port this to FreeBSD.

	Has anyone tried it?

	Paul