Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 00:03:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Jeff Dickson <jeff.dickson@jpl.nasa.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2R real slow with 8 meg

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >expected, or
[SNIP]

>    You probably want a custom kernel. GENERIC has all sorts of crap in it
> that will cause considerable bloat; that's the price of adding new device
> driver support. Also, NFS has about doubled in size (to REALLY HUGE), so
> if you don't need NFS, take it out.

This worked for me (taking NFS out). Now, a *crappy* 486 laptop I'm
using with FreeBSD works much faster under 2.2R than it did last week
under 2.1R. At least it feels like it :-)

-Mark

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	"Typically, I don't use JAVA -- I think that strong typing
	is for weak minds (and lazy compiler/interpreter writers)."
						-- Terry Lambert