Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 13:49:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar>
Cc:        Patrick Baker <PBaker@outpost.com>
Subject:   Re: How do fix a good solution against spam..

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Fernando Schapachnik wrote:

> I don't know TMDA in depth, but with ASK, that most probably wouldn't happen.
> Here's why: every user has to define a "mailkey", which is some phrase that is
> present in his .sig. Nowadays is pretty common to get replies quoting the
> full message. ASK delivers (and also whitelists, if so configured) mail
> containing your mailkey.

So, it's a hack that is defeated by decent sig-stripping mail clients,
and adds (dubious) value to the practice of including the entirety of a
message.

> Also, I don't know why this guy is so upset. Only thing he has to do is reply.
> Not really that hard. Is like complaining about security checks in a building,
> even though you were invited.

These systems are rude. They're also broken. They offload personal
effort from the user onto other members of the internet community. That
makes them antisocial too.  And come to mention it, if someone invites
me to their building then I'd consider it a common courtesy for _them_
to make arrangements to minimise any security hassle I'd receive.

I'm the dandy information superhighwayman.