Date:      Mon, 13 May 96 15:35:37 EST
From:      M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org (freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com)
Subject:   [2.1R] gated question

Hi,
    I am using 2.1R with SLIP connected to my ISP and I am running gated to
specify some very simple setups, for eg:

interfaces {
        define aa.bb.cc.dd pointtopoint ee.ff.gg.hh multicast ;
} ;

static {
        default gateway aa.bb.cc.dd preference 100 retain ;
        aa.bb.cc.0 interface sl0 ;
} ;

    As u can see, there is no actual RIP messages being propogated through
sl0, as my ISP have set up static route on his Annex to route traffics to
my site. However, all traffics off his LAN to the net is via cisco box which
does run RIP-1 as ripquery -1 cisco.ispdomain shows:

24 bytes from cisco.ispdomain (aa.bb.cc.dd) to gw.mydomain version 1:
        0.0.0.0          metric  1

    Now, I need to extend the 2.1R box to route more traffics from another
network with different IP address and domain name connected to gw.mydomain
(the 2.1R box), ie turns my 2.1R box (gw.mydomain) into a multihomed router
with multi IP address and domain name. However, I do not want to get my ISP
to add static routes to route traffic to the new network and I want to
use gated to talk RIP-1 to do so, and wonder if someone can give me some
advice on that ? The reason for choosing gated instead of letting my ISP to
set things up for me is that I will be charged EXTRA $$ and I want to avoid
that totally. In fact, I will also migrate to use gated and RIP-1 totally
for the existing network (where mydomain lives).

    Please give me some advice please.