Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 01:01:56 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The GUI debate

Jordan K. Hubbard shared with us:
> > I would suggest this a an ammendment, and not a replacement for
> > sysinstall. For various reasons, sysinstall still has its place.
>
> I'll tell you the same thing I've told Peter several times:  Send me
> the code for this and I'll be happy to evaluate it.  More work on
> my plate I don't particularly need, guys. :-)

True enough. But personally, I'd rather see some kind of agreed
standard, before I jump down and start to program. I might, for
instance, write a front end to edit your users and groups, but you
don't get real integration with that. I'd have to start over again
with each application.

(That was really the point I was trying to make. I don't want to
complain that the OS were to suck in any way, it just lacks some
things. I was also under the impression that at least some of the
people around here prefered a text interface over a graphical one.)

I think Java would be good starting point. It may not be as fast
and high-performance as C/C++, but that's really not that important
for a GUI. Since most of the work has already been done in Java,
you can leave that out. And it's cross-platform as well, which
other toolkits may not be.

But it would take some time to investigate. I think I'll look around
a bit (I have no real idea what JavaBeans exactly are). Maybe after
that, I'll open my big mouth again. :)

Maybe I'l just write that user administration program as an example
and ask people what they think of it.

- Peter