Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:53:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jason A. Pfeil" <pfeil@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation onto LARGE HD (10.1GB) (fwd)

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Wednesday,  3 March 1999 at 17:45:10 -0500, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> Please, can someone get back to me on this?

You'd be in a much better position to get a reply if you didn't
include so much extraneous junk in the message.

> Jason Pfeil wrote:
>>
>> To Whom it May Concern:
>>
>> I am an avid and very experienced Linux user and would like to try the
>> other kid on the block -- FreeBSD.  I have a new drive, but when I try
>> to create BSD slices in a partition whose type I changed to freebsd from
>> within the installation, it tells me that I cannot do that.  Here are
>> the results from fdisk /dev/hdc (the HD) under Linux:
>>
>> < -- begin transcript -- >
>> # fdisk /dev/hdc
>> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19650.
>> This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
>> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
>> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>>
>> Command (m for help): p
>>
>> Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 19650 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
>>
>>    Device Boot    Begin    Start      End    Blocks    Id    System
>> /dev/hdc1             1        1     2081   1048792+   83    Linux native
>> /dev/hdc2          2048     2082     6243   2097648    83    Linux native
>> /dev/hdc3          6144     6244    10405   2097648    83    Linux native
>> /dev/hdc4         10240    10406    19650   4659480     5    Extended
>>
>> Command (m for help): q
>> < -- end transcript -- >
>>
>> I am trying to change the type of partition /dev/hdc1 (linux naming) to
>> freebsd under the freebsd installation and create a slice for swap and a
>> slice for a partition.  Unfortunately, I get an error saying that I
>> can't create the partition.

What's the message?

>> LBA is on under the BIOS, and Linux has no problems with the drive.
>> This is the third HD in my system and therefore LILO will not be
>> running off of it so it shouldn't be limited by the BIOS when
>> booting freebsd off of this partition.  One option I
>> haven't tried, but was hoping you would have a better solution, was to
>> copy off the data I already have on the drive, do a low-level format to
>> erase everything and see if I can coerce LBA under my BIOS to reduce the
>> cylinder to <= 1024 by increasing the number of heads.

That sounds like a lousy solution.

>> Do you have ANY other solution?

fdisk?  I'm guessing that what you show there is an fdisk table.  When
installing FreeBSD, select the third disk (if they're all SCSI, it'll
be da2), and use the partition editor to replace the first partition
(in other words, either change the type, or delete it and create a new
one).  This is part of the normal installation.

Greg