Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:22:42 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        jlm@welearn.com.au
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SGML->HTML: entities translation is broken for non-Latin1 charsets

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:55:14AM +1100, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
> not just the  russian pages, andrey. i use lynx (in freebsd
> v2.2.7-release) with the standard character sets (i use iso
> latin-1 or iso-8859-1.
>
> just thought you would like to know, and it looks ugly in the
> english text as well ... grin.

In lynx case you supposed either to load iso-8859-1 screen font or switch
Display option to CP437 to see them. But if symbolic names will be
preserved, you'll see &nbsp; correctly even in not properly tuned lynx.
That's why I suggest to preserve HTML's symbolic names even for Latin1
pages.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>