Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 09:27:10 +0200
From:      "Constant, Benjamin" <bconstant@be.tiauto.com>
To:        'Colin Percival' <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Security Survey

Hi,

We don't use binary update as we use custom kernels.
We're using portaudit for security flaw with the installed ports but I don't
think there is any equivalent for the base and kernel? I'm subscribed and
I'm monitoring the FreeBSD Security Advisories mailing-list but there is (as
far as I know) no easy system like portaudit to compare you installed base
and kernel source tree against security advisories. Are there best practices
in this area knowing that all my system are not running the same level of
patches and non of them are running something else then -STABLE? I'll
probably switch from -STABLE to -RELENG in the future (was not possible in
the beginning as features we're looking for were only in -STABLE) and apply
security fixes but I think it won't change the amount of work to perform
compared to a non source based operating system.

Regards,

Benjamin Constant