Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:41:58 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fports@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nntpbtr port uploaded

> I have finished and uploaded a port of nntpbtr, a NNTP bulk transfer
> program, to :

Interesting coincidence. I did a port over the weekend of slurp, which
sounds very similar. (I haven't committed it yet as the ports
collection is currently "frozen" until 2.1.5 is released).

> - the program wants dbz module (dbz.c) to be available during compilation,
>   using the path of ../dbz.  I have grabbed dbz sources from INN distribution,
>   placed them under files/dbz.  In pre-build target, I create
>   a hard link to work/dbz, then compile dbz.c there, to avoid writing
>   under files/ directory in port.  I do not think it would be better
>   to rely on INN's source during compilation.  Anybody objects?

I did this as well, except my pre-build copies dbz.[ch] into ${WRKSRC}
rather than linking them.

> - the patches in patches/ are in unidiff format.  Well, I find it
>   easier to read, and it is compatible with any decent patch program.

This is the "approved" way.

> - the patch-ab adds `all' and `install' targets to program's Makefile.
>   I do not feel like overriding `do-build' and invoke a separate Makefile
>   in work/ directory.  Opinions?

Patching is better (IMHO). If the install is very simple, 'do-install'
can be overridden in the port Makefile itself (eg slurp just requires
the binary and the man page to be copied to their destination).

> - some policy values are in conf.h under WRKSRC.  Specifically, these
>   are paths to rnews program and history files (choosen to be
>   compatible with FreeBSD INN port - /usr/local/bin/rnews,
>   /usr/local/news/lib/history), as well to directory where nntpbtr creates
>   its work file (with list of articles to be retrieved).

I would make these ${PREFIX}/bin/rnews, etc - there is no requirement
that ports are installed under /usr/local.

>   It is important that this file would be in persistent place (not /tmp).
>   Now, it is /var/spool/news/nntpbtr-HOSTNAME.  There is only one
>   file per server.

${PREFIX}/share/nntpbr/HOSTNAME is how this is normally done for ports.

> This is my first port contribution, so I welcome any comments.

Hope this helps.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk