Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:15:02 +0100
From:      Espen Tagestad <espen@modula.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony Ericsson GC85 GPRS/EDGE pcmcia card

Hi,

I am really stucked here. Recently I bought one of those Sony Ericsson
GC85 cards hoping it could replace the serial cable and my cell phone
connected to my laptop.

Unfortunatly it does not seem to work very well. The card is recognized
as a generic modem on the pcmcia bus, and shows up as a cuaa (sio)
device. I can talk to it without problems with cu and minicom.

I've configured ppp to call my local ISP (Telenor) with GPRS. That works
in some way. My modem gets connected and I can ping other hosts and do
simple telnet commands to get data from webservers and other services.
But, when connecting with ssh it just hangs. That happens when I try to
get compressed data from the network as well.

Some data: I'm running 4.11-STABLE on a Acer Travelmate 630 series
laptop. The output from pccardd from startup shows this line after
adding the sio-device as a generic modem:

sio2: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

When trying to do some activity on the network after connecting this
messages shows up in my log:

sio2: xxx more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total xxx)

(xxx is a number)

I've read a lot of documentation on the net about this issue, and I
think I've tried most of the tips and tricks suggested. I tried to
change the irq assigned for the card without luck, I have set the
cp4ticks to 4096 in sio.c (that removed the interrupt-level buffer
overflows in the log, but then network still don't work as it should), I
changed the list of available irqs in pccard.conf, and I really don't
know what to do next.

The irq seems to be hardcoded to 3, but in Windows it shows up with irq
7, which in the FreeBSD log I get a message like this: stray irq 7. The
card works well in Windows, so I don't think is a hardware problem.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get this card to work
properly with FreeBSD? Has anyone managed to get this card, or some of
the other Sony-Ericsson GC-cards, to work at all with FreeBSD?

Another one with the same problem as I (I guess) can be found here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2004-May/003813.html

PS. The reason why I don't run FreeBSD 5 is that it just don't work on
thia laptop at all.

regards,

Espen Tagestad