Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:05:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jon Lyons <jlyons30@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysql Client and Freebsd 5.2-RELEASE

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:48:19PM -0700, Jon Lyons wrote:

> I've been trying without success to get the mysql
> client(any version) built from ports collection to
> connect to a remote mysql server, get "Lost connection
> to MySQL server". I've read the mysql site, google,
> but it's only a problem on my 5.2 machine. Locally the
> client works fine, and other machines are able to
> access the server. On my Freebsd 4.8 machine built
> with the same verion/port the connection works fine.
> It's not a mysql permessions problem/network problem.
> Has anybody got the client to function correctly on
> Freebsd 5.2?

5.2-RELEASE had some killer bugs.  I'd upgrade to 5.2.1-RELEASE if I
were you -- or even better, track the RELENG_5_2 branch via cvsup(1).
=20
> Btw, I've built a generic 4.8 machine and the client
> works, then rebuilt the same machine with 5.2 and it
> doesn't....
>=20
>=20
>=20
> nagios-new# mysql -h 10.128.18.202 -u monty -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or
> \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 216 to server version:
> 4.1.0-alpha
>=20
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the
> buffer.
>=20
> mysql> use nagios;
> ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server
> during query
>=20

Seeing that you can establish the connection in the first place means
that your configuration is probably correct.  I'd look elsewhere than
MySQL to try and work out what the problem is.

Two possibilities spring to mind:

    1) Faulty NIC or network cabling: if you're getting a lot of
       dropped packets it could cause the symptoms shown.  Try
       ping(8)'ing the MySQL server from the box in question and see
       if you get any packet drops. Play with the '-s' (packet size)
       option to ping -- sometimes only larger packets may trigger
       problems.  Also look at the output of 'netstat -i' -- any
       significant numbers in the Ierrs or Oerrs columns are a bad
       sign.  Do make sure all of the network cables are correctly
       plugged into their sockets -- the only thing worse than
       discovering that is the problem is discovering it after you've
       spent a week trying all sorts of esoteric means to fix it...

    2) A firewall somewhere between server and client is being far too
       eager to drop an established TCP connection.  Server and client
       should send occasional 'keepalive' packets over an idle
       connection which will help prevent that.  I'm not so much in
       favour of this explanation, as it looks as if the disconnect
       occurs immediately after you log in, and it would take a pretty
       pessimally designed firewall to do something like that.

The other question is "why are you running an alpha version of MySQL
on your server?"  MySQL's 4.1.x series is up to 4.1.3-beta nowadays,
as are the databases/mysql41-* ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20