Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kelley L." <kosh@kosh.cococo.net>
To:        "Nguyen HM (Mike)" <NguyenHM@ucarb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make (build)world go faster

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Kelley L. wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Nguyen HM (Mike) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been reading the mailing lists, and people are claiming they can
> > get make worlds down to around 100 minutes or so. Can anyone give me
> > some hints (besides the /usr/obj and /usr/src on different spindles
> > trick, I only have one disk, but /usr/src is mounted from another
>
>   I suspect /usr/src mounted from another system is your problem.
>

> > system). I haven't been able to go below 4hrs or so. I have a P2/233,
> > Asus P2L97S, 128mb of RAM, and a Seagate ST15150W (original Barracuda).
> > I am running X, but I don't do anything else on the system while the
> > build is going on.
> >

>   I'm running a fairly similar setup, Acer MotherBoard w/BX chipset, 128Mb
> Ram, P2/266, UDMA IDE Drive(only the one). I do have in the /etc/make.conf
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> options enabled. make buildworld took 99 minutes, just last night.
>
> If I get a chance, I will try it with the noatime and async mount options
> and see what I can get, but I can't believe that the difference between a
> PII/233 and PII/266 can be that significant.

  Just following up on this post, I cheated to get this speed, I have the
bus speed set to 83.3 MHz, and the PII is actually running at 333 MHz. I
did have a time for buildworld at 266 MHz and a 66 MHz Bus, it was 2 hours
and 35 minutes with, the -O -pipe options enabled in make.conf.

  I just did a make buildworld at the 83.3 MHz Bus Speed, and the PII
running at 333 MHz, the time for buildworld, with noatime and async mount
options was 68 minutes, installworld was 5 min 16 seconds, a kernel make
was 2 min 23 seconds. I only have a regular /usr partition.

later
Kelley