Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:04:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another 4.x ABI question; uidinfo

Ok, so I took another at the uidinfo ui_ref field being only a u_short in
4.x.  As I recall, the reason this was not changed to a u_int was binary
compatibility... however, as I look around the source tree, it appears
that the only places uidinfos are used are within kern/, and then
generally only by things touching procs.  Thirdly, it appears that the
refcount is only modified within three functions in kern_resource.c, and
that ui_ref is the last member in that structure.

So, is there _really_ a problem in promoting ui_ref to an int from a
short?  As far as I can tell, any network or sound driver should be
completely insulated from such a change; do we have any other class of
binary modules to worry about?

Thanks,

Mike "Silby" Silbersack