Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 11:36:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        cpeters@scsn.net (Charles Peters -- Charles Peters)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Operating System Decision

Charles Peters -- Charles Peters writes:

> I am about to set up a server to place on the internet.  I will be
> offering web hosting, ftp drop box hosting, and e-mail services.  I
> am trying to determine if I should use FreeBSD or Linux.
>
> I will be maintaining the server from a remote location, and it is
> imoportant that the server be rock solid in terms of it's ability to
> remain up and running.
>
> I have about 15 years of programming and maintenance experience in
> the pc area (novell, etc.).
>
> Any advise on this matter would be appreciated.

Lots of ISPs have shown that you can perform this task either with
Linux or with FreeBSD.  Recently, though, I've heard of more people
moving from Linux to FreeBSD than the other way round.  From my own
perspective, there wouldn't be a question, but then you could argue
that I'm biased.  However: FreeBSD uses the original Berkeley TCP/IP
software, which is the basis of the industry standard, whereas Linux
uses a new implementation.  Try and find details of each
implementation--Stevens has three books based on the BSD software, but
as far as I know there's nothing for Linux.

Greg