Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:23:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rjohnson@hirshfields.com
Subject:   Re: netscape navigator 4.74 and 4.1-Release

> On Wednesday,  2 August 2000 at 15:00:14 -0500, Roger P. Johnson wrote:
> >> Has anyone had problems installing navigator 4.74 on freshly installed
> >> 4.1-Release systems? I downloaded the freebsd native tar.gz directly from
> >> netscape and keep getting:
> >>
> >> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXt.so.6.0"
>
> You have installed X, right?
>
> Check whether the file exists.  It should be in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6.0.  If it isn't, you should be able to
> find it on the distribution somewhere.
>
> > I've experience a similar error but it wasn't with Netscape. In my case
> > the number of open files was too small for the number of users using
> > the machine. Check /var/log/messages. That's what tipped it off for me.
>
> I don't know what you find similar about your error.  This message is
> telling you that it can't find a file, not that there were too many
> open files (which is what I presume you mean).

What was similar? Becuase the f'n message was MISLEADING that's why. I could
find the blame lib file, I could see it, I could ls it, but the stupid message was saying
that it can't find it! It was in /var/log/messages that I was getting an additional
message about too many files open/execeed. Rebuilt the kernel increasing the
number of users, and the problem went away. This was on FBSD 2.2.6 though.

Roger