Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:23:06 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        simond@irrelevant.org
Cc:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>, stable@freebsd.org, "Rene 'Canyon' de Vries" <rene@canyon.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: Update - 4.2 install hangs while booting

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 04:12:40PM +0000, simond@irrelevant.org wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 10:05:10AM -0600, Drew Sanford wrote:
> > I have had a chance to play with 4.2 now, having gotten it installed,
> > and narrowed down some of the hardware problems that it could be. Here's
> > a system rundown:
> >
> > Asus A7V rev 1.02; Duron 800
> > SBLive
> > NetGear FA 310Tx
> > 45 GB ATA100 IBM Deskstar as Master on Primary ATA100
> > 32x ATAPI cd rom drive as Slave on Primary UDM33/66
> >
> > When I boot the system with the Parallel port enabled in the bios,
> > regardless of the specified IRQ or IO port in bios, I get this:
> >
> > ppc0: <Parallel Port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> > ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> > ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/8 bytes threshold
> > ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
> > Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> > ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 810C> MLC, PCL, PML
> > lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: Interupt-driven port
> > ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> >
> > and here the system will hang, for at least 25 minutes. Beyond that I

Will it also happen without printer or ppi?

I've run the same A7V with a 700Mc Duron without ever seeing this.
But we had no printer connected.

> > figured it was usless to wait and see if anything would happen, and I
> > lost pateince besides. Here's the dmesg output for the same system, same
> > kernel, but with the parallel port disabled in the bios:
>
> I've had the same sort of thing happen to me sometimes on my A7V, that was
> with 4.1-STABLE, I've not had a chance to install 4.2 yet due to FreeBSD
> misdetecting my 20GB IBM drive as 2GB when using ATA66. Usually I found
> that just resetting the box after it hung there caused it to work on the
> next boot.
>
> > lauasanf@colossus(~)$ dmesg
> > ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> > ata1-slave: identify failed
> > ata1-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> > ata1-master: identify failed
> > ad4: 43979MB <IBM-DTLA-307045> [89355/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA100
>
> I get the same errors as these too (although sometimes they don't appear).
> I think that is just a "feature" of the Promise controller as it could
> be that which makes Windows pause ages while booting.

As we have a ATA66 disk we have it on the ATA66 controller, not on the
ATA100.

--
Wilko Bulte  	 					Arnhem, the Netherlands
wilko@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org 		http://www.nlfug.nl