Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:15:49 +0100
From:      "Nico Revin" <mcmxvii@gmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [alerts@infosecnews.org: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu, Is Best for Enterprise Use]

You know... The only thing I can say for sure is that FreeBSD and *buntu are
both great systems. But the problem is in management. Why do you think
Ubuntu became so popular? Mark sold his business and had a great credit to
fire a start-up. So he did.

And what had he done first? He bought all of us. Show me a person who DID
NOT got ubuntu via ship-it system? It was really for free!!!
And when the quantity of ship-it users and the community became really great
and the demand in his products grew enough, he began to sell dvd-s. He
divided all users into categories. He made the deployment and the support
efficient and transparent. His products are like christmas candies.
Shipit cd is a huge marketing victory and it helped Mark to popularize
Ubuntu and to begin selling it.

FreeBSD was the best OS for servers (and not only for servers ;). And it is
the best now. But the current market situation is that linux/bsd systems
MUST compete with each other. FreeBSD is one of the best platforms (remember
MAC OS X?). And it CAN be competitive.

Marketing is evil. But without it you can lose the market share, respect and
money... The economic model of the open-source projects is very weak. Mark
demonstrates that it can be efficient.

Oh! Some notes about Mark. He is a public person. He appears regularly in
different interviews, magazines, e-magazines. He finds million ways to make
people get intrigued. just visit ubuntu.com.

well FreeBSD makes some presentations like
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20Preview.pdf which would be
good enough if someone knew it exists!

if you organize a quiz most people will say smth like "oh! freebsd is still
alive?!"

I wouldn't like my project to be told about like that!..

--
Best regards,
Nico Revin.