Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:37:16 -0400
From:      freebsd_user@guice.ath.cx
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting and using services -- Single-user mode -- TECRA_A9-S9017

I have the need to start and use service while in single_user mode.  To
this point I'm not able to use 'top' or 'ps' respectively.  In
addition,from the CLI; when I attempt to start services such as
'portmap' and 'sshd' nothing is shown running via 'ps'.  All I see are
the headers when I issue th 'ps aux' command.

I'm sure its possible to do what I'm attempting, but given the crippled
situation of this box, I'm stuck in Single-user mode and need to start
enough services that will allow the use of 'scp' in order to move some
zipped/crucial files from the crippled box to another machine on the
same network.

There are no other options, I need to do this from single-user mode.