Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:42:48 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        pete <bsdpete@thechristies.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MTA advice ??

On Aug 24, 2008, at 1:06 PM, pete wrote:

> I have a hosted domain that recently changed their mail filtering. I
> am not happy with the new setup

I have my email hosted by fastmail.fm.  I am extremely happy with
them.  (They really understand IMAP and the needs to "power" email
users).

> and am considering setting up my own. Looking for tips on setting up
> something on my freeBSD 6.1 box.

Running your own MTA is not for the faint-hearted.

> My ISP is cablevision IO. Not sure what they allow, ie: whether I
> can have my hosted domain set to use my cable IP as a MTA

The main question is whether you have a static IP.  The IP address
that you appear to have sent your message from, 69.118.77.111, does
not appear to be a static IP address.

You will not be able to send directly from that IP to most mail
servers on the net.  So if you intend to use your system for sending
mail, you will have to go through a "smart host" (probably your ISPs
designated out bound SMTP server).

Receiving mail directly will be more possible, but tricky.  You will
need to use a dynamic DNS system.  Also do consider uptime and
reliability.  In the old days, if one MTA couldn't reach another it
would hold stuff in its queue for four or five days.  Now, most MTAs
appear to be configured to give up after 24 hours.  So if your
mailserver is down for a day, mail will be bounced and never delivered
to you.

> Also looking for advice on which software would serve me bet in this
> instance.

exim, postfix and sendmail are all good choices.  I personally prefer
exim, but I think that someone in your position would do best with
postfix.

Cheers,

-j