Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:41:45 +0000
From:      Mike Zanker <A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving from 2.2.8-STABLE to ELF 3.0-CURRENT (success)

Morning folks,

I thought that I would share my experiences of moving from 2.2.8-STABLE to
3.0-CURRENT ELF in the hope that it may help or encourage anyone still wary
of making the change.

I've been tracking 2.2-STABLE since my initial install of 2.2.2. I wouldn't
call myself a programmer, but then again I'm not frightened of failed makes
and enjoy getting my hands dirty trying to figure out what the problems are.

Anyway, I was getting a bit bored following the 2.2 branch - there were
only a few source changes now and then and I wasn't having any problems
"making the world". I decided that it was time to move to 3.0 and ELF so I
developed a plan of action, taking things one step at a time.

First of all I decided to go via 3.0-RELEASE rather than straight to
CURRENT so I cvsup'd RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE. I guess that I could have gone
straight for an aout-to-elf at this stage but I wanted to make doubly sure
that /dev and /etc were up-to-date so I built a 3.0-RELEASE aout system.
This went just as smoothly as my previous 2.2 builds had gone. The only
problem I had at this stage was that I tried to install the new boot
blocks. However, they wouldn't build due to them needing the ELF objcopy.

So far so good, so I did an aout-to-elf-build - which went OK - and an
aout-to-elf-install. The only problem I had following the reboot was that
some of the aout libraries from /usr/local/lib didn't get moved to
/usr/local/lib/aout. I'm not too concerned, though, because I'm going to
rebuild my ports as ELF. A quick solution was making sure that the aout
ldconfig included /usr/local/lib as well as /usr/local/lib/aout.

At this point the new boot blocks installed fine. I didn't bother with
trying them out on a floppy first (because my system is fairly easy to
recover) but I would recommend anyone else doing so (per Peter Wemm's
document). I then went on an built an ELF kernel - again, no problems.

Finally I cvsup'd against 3.0-CURRENT and did a make world to bring
everything up-to-date. All I need to do now is install the ELF Xfree86 and
recompile my ports.

Anyway, apologies for rambling on a bit and I hope that one or two more
wary people may be encouraged to take the plunge.

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Zanker                         | Email: A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk
Network and Computer Services Group | Tel : +44 1908 652726