Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:17:59 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   changing the way mail spools are permissioned (for using web-based email  service)

I'm currently messing around with neomail, and it seems to do everything
I need it to, but it doesn't read the mail spools properly. It needs to
establish a write lock on /var/mail/<someuser>. I currently have the
script set to run suid/sgid 'mail', but all the spools are set to
user:logingroup for ownership. Since some users have different login
groups than others; this convention leaves me with two possible options,
(as I see it anyhow -suggestions welcomed):

1 - change neomail too be run as suid root, which leaves me sceptical as
to it's security; should something screw up I could have a big problem
on my hands.

2 - (prefered), change sendmail to have all the mail spools as group
writeable for the group 'mail'. This is the way I'd prefer to do things,
but I have little to no clue as to exactly how to accomplish this.
Seeing as how the machine this is being done on is in production, and
under constant use; downtime is also an issue; (If I change it, and
something else don't work...I better have it back the way it was, and
quickly so).

Any comments, suggestions, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
For the record, my system information is as follows:

Running: FreeBSD 4.1-20000729-STABLE
(no, I don't want to cvsup/update the machine...it works fine now, and
that would cause downtime)

Sendmail version: ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:38:08
-0500 (EST)

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com