Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:07:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/print/ghostscript4

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

>  > Problems like this should be real easily fixable - or will something more
>  > than the number in the filename have to change in the makefile?
>
> Sure. But what I meant to say was, that if only
> the name of a distribution files changes, then
> we should generally keep the old name in the
> port's Makefile, in order to reduce unneccesary
> multi-megabyte FTP transfers.
>
> A note might be required in the Makefile, which
> indicates that the TAR file remains unchanged
> and thus the version from the previous release
> will still be used ...

I'm not sure I agree with this.  The old tar file is very likely to
become much harder to get, and keeping parts of older versions, to
balance off ftp loading time, well, I think this isn't wise.  I think it
would just cause much more confusion than the time saved, for the largest
number of people.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |