Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 00:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        jeff@walters.name
Subject:   Re: Comment on devfs.conf

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <200305151653.43540.jeff@walters.name>, Jeff Walters writes:
> >The new /etc/devfs.conf arrangement is a good thing but it doesn't work for
> >devices that are created on the fly after boot, and it gives an error on
> >wildcards on device names.
> >
> >I suggest for /etc/rc.d/devfs that instead of changing the permissions and
> >ownerships directly on device nodes, create a default devfs ruleset based on
> >/etc/devfs.conf entries and apply the set.  For example, previously you could
> >modify /etc/rc.devfs with the logic like:

The fact that you could do wild stuff with the old rc.devfs was a result
of the fact that it combined the features of a config file and a startup
script into one. That model doesn't work with rcNG, so I did my best to
replicate the basics of the old functionality so that we could go forward
with it for 5.1. If you have a patch to add additional functionality, send
it over, I'll be glad to look at it.

> I must admit that I should have looked at this, now that I have, I fully
> agree:  The policy setup at boot should be not just applied once, but
> made the default ruleset.

I think we should have both options, actually, to provide the most
flexibility. However if using the rule interface is the preferred method
of implementation for permissions and ownership, we can comment devfs.conf
appropriately. Better is always better. :) We'll need to leave in the
mechanism to create links at least, though.

Doug