Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:06:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD v Linux

Doug Poland writes:
> Well, that makes sense.  Think of FreeBSD as a Linux distribution
> and get them to support that.  I may be beating a dead horse, but
> how would that help (in the Sybase realm) with connectivity libraries
> like Sybase-DB or Sybase-CT.  These Sybase libraries are needed for
> interfaces like PHP to speak to Sybase?  I'm sure the other major
> RDBMs have similar libraries.

I honestly don't know. Can you link FreeBSD binaries against static
Linux libraries and get sane results? Can a binary use shared
libraries for both Linux (via emulation) and FreeBSD?

I know you can run a Linux cross-compiler on FreeBSD with Linux
emulation and get binaries that run under that emulation. If worst
comes to worst, you could do that.

	<mike