Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:19:48 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv question (request ?)

#define quoting(Randall Hopper)
// Joao Carlos Mendes Luis:
//  |  I have now two sound cards in my computer.  (A GUS for quality,
//  |a a SB16 for compatibility.  :)  )  I have used the gus line input
//  |for SB audio mixing, and put the bktr output into the SB line input.
//  |Now, how do I tell fxtv which mixer to use ?  Assuming /dev/mixer
//  |as default is not bad, but is too limiting.
//
// Ok.  So do you have:    TV Card -> SB Card -> GUS Card -> Audio out
//
// I can make the mixer and dsp devices used by Fxtv configurable via rsrc.
// Just one mixer and one dsp though :-)  Consider it on the my list.  (I'll
// get back to working on fxtv some day.)

One mixer is enough.   Better: One mixer per instance of fxtv, one on
each of my bktr cards.  :)

Does DirectVideo support more than one program simultaneously ?  But
even if one of those is forced to map images, there's no problem.
It's will not be a common setup.  (But Unix is fun with strange
setups, not the commom ones.)

//  |                                             Also, if I wanted to
//  |use the internal CD audio cable instead of the external and noisy
//  |line cable to get WinTV sounds into my sound card ?
//
// Yeah, Luigi's made this request as well and it's on my list.  However, with
// cascading sound cards like you are, I don't think quality difference
// between external and internal will make any real difference.  (The Line In
// on my SB32 is very low-noise BTW.)

Yes, yes.  I'm not using it, just thought if fxtv would support doing so.

If I did not have a CDROM, I could put the SB output into GUS line input,
and bktr output into GUS CD input.  But for now I prefer to have more
quality on my CD Audio than on TV Audio.  Obviously.  :)

					Jonny

PS: Fxtv is already much better than WinTV application.  With these
changes, it will be unbeatable !  Long life to FreeBSD !

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br