Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:39:11 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

At 9:32 AM -0600 11/21/97, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>I don't think you're listening.  The ID gets changed as part of a *commit*.
>Each change state of a given tree is uniquely identified.

There are still "race" conditions that we cannot solve by any means that
does not serialize the update/snapshot process. Since we cannot get an
absolutely accurate stamp, I think that an "approximate" stamp done by
a cron job is both adequate and simpler.

>The ID is kept in a source module (most seem to be voting for
>newvers.sh).  CVS changes that module during a commit, but doesn't RCS
>the change (to avoid the file growing without bounds--history of all
>these timestamps is meaningless).  Any change to newvers.sh other than
>the timestamp would still be RCSd.

Fundamental Rule of Modular Programming:
It is not a good idea to have two mechanisms altering the same file.

It is much better to have "newvers.sh" (or anyone else who cares)
include a file which contains the timestamp information.

[Been there, done that...]

Richard Wackerbarth