Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:58:32 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        mauzi@poli.hu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: umount -f causes page fault in kernel?

In the last episode (Dec 14), Mark Newton said:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 04:27:48PM +0100, Gergely EGERVARY wrote:
>  > mount /cdrom
>  > cd /cdrom
>  > umount -f /cdrom
>  > cd ..
>  > will cause 100% reproduceable kernel panic (page fault)
>
> "So don't do that then!"
>
>  > I know forced umount is dangerous, but soo ... =P
>
> It's described as "dangerous" precisely because it causes a kernel
> panic.

Well, it actually *shouldn't* cause a kernel panic.  I know I've
forcibly unmounted filesystems with no problems.  Gergely: could you
rebuild your kernel with debugging, create a kernel crashdump, and post
a stack traceback of the panic?  Instructions are at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html .

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com